As recently as a few years ago, the big news would have been someone being “outed” for the immorality of homosexual behavior. Today the big news is someone being “outed” for suggesting that homosexuality is immoral.
Here is the story:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon's top general expressed regret Tuesday for voicing his personal view that homosexuality is immoral, but he did not apologize for the comment that drew criticism from lawmakers and gay-rights groups.
In a newspaper interview Monday, Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, likened homosexual acts to adultery and said the military should not condone it by allowing gays to serve openly in the armed forces._________________
In response to General Pace’s comments, Senator John Warner declared that homosexuality, and by extension, homosexual acts, are not immoral. In other words, he declares homosexual acts to be moral.
Perhaps John holds Biblical principles in low esteem. Perhaps John, like many others, believe the Biblical criticism of homosexuality is a vague, isolated and detached principle bearing little relationship to the primary theme of Scripture. Maybe that is why the Warners of the world cavalierly dismiss this particular type of immorality.
Nothing could be further from the truth. The theme of the evil of homosexual acts permeates both the old and new testaments. Here are a few examples:
- Genesis 13:13 "But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.”
- Genesis 19:5 “And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.” (Sexual immorality was the reason for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.)
- Leviticus 18:22 “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”
- Deuteronomy 23:17 “There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor ba sodomite of the sons of Israel.”
- Isaiah 3:9 “The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.”
- Romans 1:27-30 “And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.”
- Jude 1:7 7 “Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”
In this life, some have more or less of a predisposition toward alcoholism, toward drug addiction, toward homosexuality or other sexual perversions, toward violent behavior, toward impatience, and toward a wide variety of other shortcomings of human behavior. A measure of human character is our ability to bridle our negative predispositions. Just because we refuse to bridle our predisposition toward violence does not make our violent acts acceptable. Just because we refuse to bridle our predisposition toward homosexuality does not make our homosexuality acceptable.
The teachings of Christianity expressed in the Bible are this nations’ basis for morality and law. When out of convenience or as a result of political pressure groups and influence we dismiss one clear Biblical moral teaching, we begin the unraveling of all the rest.
Let’s check out what other Biblical declarations of immorality, upon which this nation’s moral standards and laws have been based, might soon be declared null and void by political decree…
Thou shalt not murder.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt honor thy mother and father
Thou shalt not covet.
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Which Senator or other half-witted politician wants to declare some of these Biblical standards null and void? Its bad enough that many of us fall short of these standards, despite considering them to be sound moral standards. But to purposely declare these standards irrelevant and not worthy to strive toward is idiocy.
What is the basis for morality? Is it what the most vocal group claims is OK? Is it something that can be determined by a pollster?
So, if the “Child Predators Association” or “The Man-Boy Love Association” or the “Animal-Human Love Association” or “defenders of murder” groups (trust me, there is a group representing every perversion you can imagine, and some you can’t) ever become prominent, Senator Warner and other amoralists may then declare child molestation, man-boy love, and murder to be moral.
General Pace is apparently considered “an unenlightened throwback” with regard to his moral standards by the folks who have declared traditional morality obsolete. Others might admit he has a right to his personal moral beliefs, and agree that such beliefs may still be valid, but argue he has no right to express them in a public forum or in the carrying out of his duties.
Wow! In either case, this smack down bodes trouble for our nation’s leaders, as well as for this and future generations.
Since when does a leader, a public leader in high places, lose his right and obligation to speak out on moral issues? That is a major part of the job of a good leader...not only to be a good moral example, but to speak out for morality.
And what is the next moral imperative that will be struck down by ignorant, self-serving, “politically-correct”, but ultimately destructive decree?
I see it coming. Soon there will be a time when nothing is considered immoral, when there is no basis for law, for abiding by laws, or for civil behavior. At such time as everyone does what is right in his own eyes will be the death of order and death of civilization. Thus will come a second Dark Age, unless Gods patience draws to a close and another cleansing occurs.
I thank God for people like General Pace. I pray there will be many more leaders just like him who rise up for Godly values with courage and conviction in the face of ignorant adversity.