Joe Angione, a local commentator, had a thought provoking piece about why birthers need to back off. Becoming a birther more and more every day, I took exception to his truth-ducking view by emailing him my thoughts.
Here is what I sent, (plus some additional comment):
Here is why the birthers do not need to back off...
1. We believe in truth. The truth should be made known. We believe it is true that Obama's origins and past should be known and that the official line is a lie.
2. The media mocks most everything conservatives seriously promote, especially when we are being effective. They declare anyone they don’t agree with as “nuts.” They mock any attempt to balance the budget. Should we stop doing that? They called Paul Ryan “nuts” for making the first serious effort while no one else did anything. Should we dismiss Paul Ryan? They mocked Col. West during his campaign (and still do) for speaking the truth about Islam. Should West stop speaking the truth about Islam?
3. The truth of Obama's deception still has traction – and is still true with growing evidence:
Here are the latest stats on Jerome Corsi’s book, “Where's the Birth Certificate?: The Case that Barack Obama is not Eligible to be President” from Amazon:
- #9 in Books > Nonfiction > Law > Constitutional Law
- #41 in Books > Nonfiction > Government
- #64 in Books > Nonfiction > Law > One-L
4. The truth should not be repressed because of mockers. That is why they mock, because they believe their perverted special interests are more important than the truth. This is the way we lose our liberties and become slaves.
5. Mockers are juvenile idiots. They spew without truth or substance. Those who "back off" because of mockers respond to juvenile idiots. Check out Diane West's "The Death of the Grown-up."
6. “Backing off” is a display of political correctness. And I abhor and am becoming increasingly offended by and impatient with political correctness!
7. The worst thing we can do is back off the truth anytime we are mocked. That is giving up the high ground. They mock. We cower. We speak the truth on another topic. They mock, we cower yet again. They see strength in mocking. Angione and those who agree with him see strength in ducking.
8. “Backing off” the truth does not equate with picking our battles. The truth is always the truth and needs to remain at the forefront no matter what battles we pick.
9. If the left sees fit to tell lies until people finally believe it, can’t we, at the very least, tell the truth until people believe it?
I have no intention of backing off this topic, Joe.
Here is the complete Angione article on the topic:
“Birthers” need to back off
There is probably no one more convinced than I that no documentation exists to prove the “natural born” citizen status of the man who currently occupies the White House. There are also few, if any, who are more certain than I am that Mr. Obama’s birth certificate, which was displayed recently to answer Donald Trump’s challenge, is a blatant forgery. But I have to tuck my beliefs away as simply truth that is known, but that will never be acted upon by anyone of standing in government or by any legislature or any court in the land.
Obama’s ineligibility to serve as president is a dead issue, a cause that has no followers who are capable and willing to do anything about it. It’s been said that Congress will do nothing to oust Obama, since they all refused to vet his eligibility. Congress, as well as the media gave Mr. Obama a free pass in 2008. He is very aware of this, and might be likely to expose them all if push comes to shove.
Many conservatives become excited when they read that another “document expert” has come forward to declare that the Obama “long form” certificate of birth is an absolute fraud.
According to the most recent report in WorldNewsDaily, “Unless the typewriter used to type Barack Obama’s purported Hawaiian ‘Certificate of Live Birth’ in 1961 was magically capable of producing different size and shaped [letter] images with the exact same key, the document released by the White House on April 27 is a forgery, says a professional typographer with 50 years experience. Steel-stamped letters do not expand to larger sizes and morph into different styles of type," retired New York City typographer Paul Irey told WND.
Regardless of Mr. Irey’s testimony, no one seems ready to use this opinion as the basis of a court case to have Obama declared ineligible, and no judge would hear such a case because, inevitably, other experts would be found to swear the birth certificate is the real thing. Think about the Casey Anthony case: an expert can always be found to contradict the testimony of another expert.
Stories abound alleging that the hospital in which Obama is reported to have been born had a different name back in 1961, and that Kenya, the country of origin listed on the certificate for Obama’s father, was named East Africa at that time. Example after example can be found to reasonably doubt the authenticity of Obama’s birth certificate, but no government official, no court at any level will pursue the truth in this matter. Some say the reason is the fear that minority groups will riot if the man they put in office is forced to leave. The offense to their racial sensitivities would be intolerable.
Whether civil disturbances are likely or not, it would be better if “birthers” backed off on insisting that Mr. Obama be ousted—even though his ineligibility made his taking the oath of office a criminal act. Birther cries for justice are falling on deaf ears, and only damage the credibility of other conservatives who know they need the support of millions of independent voters if Obama is to be defeated in 2012.
The media have seen to it that “birthers” are branded as “nuts,” and nuts have no power to do anything except generate laughter and ridicule.