If you were wondering why Mitt Romney believes that Jihad is no part of Islam and why his foreign policy positions regarding the Middle East were virtually identical to Obama’s, look no further than the beliefs of scholars within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – Mormons.
I searched the term “Islam” in one of the official LDS websites called The Mormon Channel. Up popped a presentation called “Understanding Islam.” The presentation is given by Dr. Daniel Peterson, Professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic at Brigham Young University. HERE it is.
As I listened to the interview my jaw dropped. Here is some of the ignorant misleading, disingenuous, Islam-apologist academic tripe provided by this Mormon professor:
- General gushing over the life of Muhammad and the Islamic “religion”, generally.
- Total silence on Muhammad’s conquests, immorality, and the continuing supremacism. and terror promoted by Islam throughout history and today.
- Emphasis that Islam is a respectable sister religion to Christianity.
- Fascination that Islam has many similarities to Mormonism with regard to its new revelation, post Biblical “sacred” scripture, and a prophet, Muhammad, similar to the Mormon prophet, Joseph Smith. “Echos of the Joseph Smith story…like Judaism and Christianity before.”
- Claim that Muslims and Christians worship the same God. He believes that Muslims merely apply the word differently. He ignores the Islamic distinctions in the characteristics of their “Allah.” He reminded us that the book of Mormon uses the word Allah throughout. He obfuscates the distinction of Islam’s use of the word “Allah” vs. the use of the word by Middle East Christians.
This blindness to the evil of Islam and equating that ideology to many of the characteristics of Mormonism is an adequate reason for me to question the legitimacy of the Mormon faith and the honesty of their leadership in addressing the Islamic problem.