Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Observations from a 30-day cruise…

My first ever cruise, this one to the Mediterranean, lasting 30 days and involving an Atlantic crossing is drawing to a close as I write this. Despite being one who is “wealth-challenged” – one of those who suffers from the “middleclassedness that disgusts Obama’s beloved Rev. Wright - some of my experiences are worth sharing. So here is my list of the most noteworthy observations and experiences from this cruise:

There is a lot of water out there. Crossing 4000 miles of Atlantic and viewing it from 100 feet above the surface of the ocean I could see 25 miles in all directions. I expected to observe an occasional ship or at least an occasional fish during this period. I saw neither for six days.

Europe is old. They celebrate the past. This makes me appreciate America which still celebrates the future, and especially Florida which is mostly new; where even retirees celebrate their new beginnings.

The ship averages 20 miles per hour, roughly the speed of a well-tuned golf cart. The sailing experience is best compared to being in a large, floating golf cart full of food.

Speaking of food, I couldn’t help wondering, meal after meal, how much food is wasted and discarded every day. And how many pounds the average already overweight patron has gained.

Mingling with the dress-up crowd on dress-up night in casual clothes made me feel like an illegal alien just before an Immigration and Naturalization Service raid.

The resort retirement community I live in is often referred to as a cruise ship experience. My cruise could be described as a resort retirement community experience. So why did I spend $5,000?????

Similar to retirement communities, there was very little observed on the pool decks that could be appropriately described as “sensual.”

I was amazed at the number (and apparent wealth) of cruisers who have imbibed in 20, 30, or more cruises. Many seem to spend their final years immersed in a life of perpetual cruises. Call me wickedly judgmental but I call these unbridled self-indulgent gluttons with apparently empty and purposeless lives. (Is there some jealousy here? - - - Naaah.)  I need to take into consideration that the monthly cost of cruising is very close to that of a good nursing home – a floating life care facility away from home. At least it’s not subsidized by Medicare.

A highlight was a series of daily Bible Studies which is apparently rare among cruises.  Ironically one attendee of this Study was a missionary short of resources for his mission.  Hmmm.

And finally, 30 days is much too long for a cruise for me – especially as a first timer. However, I do not anticipate cruising again for two reasons: There is too much else to do – and I am out of money.

No comments: