Wednesday, June 03, 2009

What's With the Puerto Ricans?

The one other Puerto Rican I knew personally reminds me very much of Sonia Sotomayor. On one hand he bragged about not having to pay nearly as much tax in Puerto Rico as we do in our homeland. In the next breath he would praise "cultural diversity" as next to Godliness, that is, in the sense of maintaining cultural distinctives and definitely NOT assimilating into the US culture. I considered then his comments to be somewhat condescending and racist.

Now we have his kin, Sonia Sotomayor, lauding the superiority of being a female Puerto Rican over your standard white male. What is it with the Puerto Ricans? I have two from which to draw a conclusion. They are batting 100%. Should I logically conclude they are all elitist, condescending racist, sexist egoists?

By the way. These comments from me are no more a negative judgement of Puerto Ricans than Judge Sonia decreed upon white males who haven't lived her "superior life."

No comments: