Thursday, May 15, 2014

An instance when I trust government more than business…

Not all is well at McDonald’s

I heard that McDonald’s was inexplicably closed on Wednesday afternoon, May 14.  I drove by there to get a cup of scrumptious McDonald’s coffee this morning, the 15th, thinking it would be open .  It was still closed, with the parking lot blocked off from customer access and the curious.  There was a  McDonald’s shift manager near the entrance telling would-be customers it was closed.  She handed out cards for free meals to those who stopped by.  I asked her “why are you closed?”  She said “I don’t really know.”  What I read into that is it is something so disgusting we can’t tell you.

Still curious, when I got back home I made a few phone calls.  The first call was made to the store.  I asked why they are closed.  The answer given was “we are fixing up a few things.”  While that was an honest answer, as far as it went, I knew it was incomplete.  Without revealing my sources, I was led to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation web site where I searched “McDonald’s 466a”. 

This is what popped up:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/inspectionDates.asp?licid=3611723

Here is the reason for the store’s closure:

35A-03-4
Basic - Dead roaches on premises.4 dead under three compartment sink, 1 dead on cookline, 1 dead near mop sink,

35A-08-4
High Priority - Live flies in kitchen. Chemical storage room

35A-05-4
High Priority - Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. 1 live on three compartment sink wall, 3 live under three compartment sink, 5 live near water heater, 1 live in laundry room, 3 live in chemical storage room, 1 live in cabinet front counter, 2 live under reach in cooler coffee making area

McDonald’s had two opportunities to tell me the reasons for the store being closed.  They failed.  Government did the job that a business refused to do.  Give a star to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

No comments: